Saturday, October 27, 2007

Moving to Blogger

I've decided to switch to Blogger, after attempting several times to upload pictures with the other site I was using. I liked the other site, but was frustrated with spending my time trying to figure out how to center, format all my photos that I wanted to post. That function seems much easier on Blogger. So, I've copied my posts from my other site (all 5 of them... I know, I've been remiss in posting; one of my friends has said she keeps checking my site for new updates!). Hopefully this will be easier for me and I'll have more time to actually post.

Worst Aunt in the Family
I thought this might be my title in our family, since my brother and his wife had their first baby in May and I just got to Kirksville to see him last weekend. But my brother and his wife didn’t give me too hard of a time for not getting there until now– in fact, it was really nice that Sam was a little older when Jace and I got to see him for the first time. Samuel Robert Gasaway is now 4 months old, and he was such a ham over the weekend. His mom Michele said that he was really smiling and laughing more than usual with us around, so I guess he liked us! We had a great weekend, it was just a very relaxing time.
Michele had a friend’s wedding shower on Saturday, so Rob, Jace and I took Sam for a ride in the stroller around the Truman campus. Then my other brother, Thom, who is a sophomore (right, Thom?) at Truman, came over that night and we all had dinner. I brought my Ipod and speakers, so we jammed to a little Jack Johnson in the kitchen, the Curious George CD, in honor of Sam… in fact, a lot of the music for the weekend was kiddo-themed; Rob had some great CDs of baby/kid songs that he played for Sam.
Here’s a pic of Jace and Sam; Jace has two other younger cousins, but they are both close enough in age that he didn’t get to enjoy them as babies… He had a great time with Sam!
I’m posting the picture, because it is such a cute one, despite the fact that I cannot figure out how to center it or make it bigger. Next time I post one, I’ll have this thing figured out, I promise. We had a great weekend, it was awesome to catch up with Rob, Michele and Thom, and spend time with baby Sam. Soon we’ll find out if Rob gets the assistant CFO position at a sister hospital in Granite City, IL, which will put them a little closer to us.
This weekend our hospital hosts our 10th annual breast cancer luncheon for survivors, family and friends… it is always such a busy time of year for us but I enjoy being a part of the breast cancer events. There are always new women every year at this event, who have just been diagnosed. It is a very touching event, and a time for them to connect with others who have gone breast cancer. This is always a hard time of the year for me, since we lost our mom to cancer in the fall, so many years ago. But I really find comfort in being a part of these events…maybe I’m helping someone else cope with what they’re going through.. and it helps me, too.


Boat Crazy!
We spent Saturday and Sunday at Tablerock on our new boat, enjoying this gorgeous weather as long as we can! We’ve recently become boat owners for the first time, (although Dave has had smaller fishing boats, and has had several friends with larger boats–so it really isn’t new to him.) and have spent every weekend on the boat for the last month, enjoying the last hurrah of summer.
I’ve become well-versed in the whole boating craze since Dave and I have been together… One of his best friends, Chris, has been a boat owner for the past 15+ years. Of course not the same boat for 15 years; I think he has had at least 4-5 boats during that time. He and his wife Jana now have a beautiful new houseboat, which is 18 feet wide by 70 feet long. It is absolutely gorgeous, with every amenity that one would find in a regular home.
They’ve had this boat since May, and I think they will plan on keeping it for awhile, at least that is Jana’s vote! That’s the funny thing, though. One commonality I’ve seen is that many boat owners often “trade up” — almost as soon as they have one boat, they’re already considering what they will get next! Dave’s no different, and all of our friends on the dock keep teasing me about it. He’s already been tossing the idea out about when we’ll get a houseboat, when we’ve only had our cabin cruiser for a month!
We are definitely one of the very smallest boats on our dock, most of the other boats are large houseboats. But we made the choice to rent a slip that is much larger than what we need for our 36-foot cabin cruiser so that we could be on the dock with Chris and Jana and the rest of their group of friends. And I certainly have to say it has been, and will be, worth the extra money. It is quite the dock, with a marvelous group of people. There are also several boats that have kids/grandkids, so our kids will make new friends next summer too.
I meant to take a picture when we were down this weekend, as my brother Rob has asked when I’m going to post one. I will have to do that next time we’re down. Although next weekend will be a boy’s weekend on the boat for Dave and Neil, because Jace and I will be going to Kirksville to see Rob, Michele and new baby Sam!
Hope everyone has a great week!


Feelin' Like a Kid Again... sort of
Last weekend Jace, Neil, (my 13-year-old stepson) Dave and I woke up at the crack of dawn on Saturday, piled into the car and drove to meet our friends Scott, Robyn and their kids at Six Flags St. Louis. Jace had never been to Six Flags, so he had been counting the days for the past two weeks. He has wanted to go the last couple of years, but I knew he wouldn’t be tall enough to ride the majority of the rides, and he would feel that he was “too big” to just go on the kiddie rides. Last year he was finally tall enough for the slide at the local pool, so I knew that he would be tall enough this year to make the trip enjoyable for him.
Jace had a great time, got to hang out with his new friend, Kyle, who is also nine, and with Scott & Robyn’s daughter, Sammi, and her friend. Taking his cue from Kyle, (who lives in St. Louis and has been to Six Flags many times) he stuck with some of the smaller rides/coasters, and the water rides. That was enough for him for this time, I think the bigger coasters were a bit overwhelming for him.
Dave, Neil, Scott and I rode several of the BIG roller coasters, and had a blast! I’ve always loved roller coasters, and they have several new ones since I last visited. It was just like I remembered… the anticipation of the climb to the top, then plummeting straight down, and whipping around the curves at breakneck speed. I loved it! But the one thing we agreed upon was that although we still LOVE the coasters, they certainly have more of an effect our bodies than when we were teenagers. I woke up stiff and sore the next morning, and definitely feeling my age! But that’s ok, it was worth it. When we go again next year, I’m sure we’ll be right back in line for those same coasters.

New Blog, Take Two
I started my blog back in late August, and it is now mid-September. Unfortunately, I am not savvy enough to easily determine how to upload a picture to my blog without it being HUGE… I emailed my brother Rob, and he was not much help (sorry, Rob) but his reply did prompt me to consider that maybe I could resize and format a picture using my camera software on my computer.
So, following the directions, I’ve (hopefully) resized the picture and saved it in a smaller format. Now to upload it… drumroll, please….
OK! It’s on here… After much work, I still can’t figure out how to get it centered, or put a title with it, or anything else.Anyway, here’s the source of my new last name— Dave, for those of you who haven’t yet met him… This is us, July in Jamaica, tying the knot. I love this picture… it isn’t necessarily the best one, but I just think we look so happy, and in love in this one. (Ok, feel free to gag– I am a newlywed, though!) Hope you enjoy the blog, and feel free to comment on anything from here on out, I’d love to hear from any of you.

Hello, World!
Why start a blog? A couple of bloggers have influenced my decision to start my own blog. First, my brother, Rob. The techie of our family, he’s a CPA at a hospital in northern Missouri– and more importantly, a NEW DAD. I’ve enjoyed reading his blog over the last year, as he and his wife Michele prepared for the birth of their baby. Now that Sam is here, I check Rob’s blog almost daily to see any new pics he’s posted.
Second, a coworker and friend of mine (wait! She’s a CPA in a hospital too– hmmm… do ALL CPAs blog!?) has a blog, and I always enjoy catching up with her latest activity and general thoughts on life. She’s a sharp lady, and you know what they say - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
So, now I am now embarking on my own blog journey. I love to take pictures, and this is a great way to keep in touch with others and share the latest news in my life. Of course this won’t be as interesting or trendy as some of the blogs I check out on a regular basis, nor will it be as flashy as some of those same blogs. Fantastic, interesting, funny, and quirky blogs, with great graphics and other “technical things” (see? I don’t even know what those things ARE, much less how to use them!) You won’t get ANY of that here!
Just a simple blog, to keep friends and family up-to-date on life and share my thoughts. Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I’ll enjoy writing it!