Friday, September 12, 2008

Age Is Just a Number (but which one?)

I had my quarterly visit with my wellness coach here at work earlier this week, and a funny thing happened as I stepped up onto the scale-like machine that measured my height, weight, BMI, and body fat. Tony, my coach, asked my age as he was entering the calculations, and I hesitated and then answered "38", and then bumbled back and forth, and said, "No, wait, maybe I'm 37.." all the while thinking to myself, "OK, I'm looking like a real smartie here, can't even remember my frickin' age!?"

So when I did the math and finally ascertained that yes, I turned 37 this past April, I then wondered why I'm already putting myself at 38!? I did this a few years ago, when I was in my early 30s. I remember once stating incorrectly that I was 33 when I was only 32, and then having to do the math and figure out how old I really was.

Like most women (and some men), I'm conscious of my body's aging, and the fact that I'm seeing wrinkles (and more fat right now, but I'm working on that!) than I've ever had before, and maybe this is my mind's way of mentally preparing for the big 4-0!? I LOVED my friend Kim's way of dealing with aging in a recent post on her blog... don't lie and say you're younger than you are, lie and say you're OLDER than you are... when you're 37 and say you're 40 then people will look at you and exclaim, "Damn, she looks good for 40!".

Then when I was on MSNBC this morning I came across an article I read a few months ago (and actually forwarded to my husband at that time, because it was so true and funny!) about men and aging. The author talks about his theory that "...men have two ages: the age we really are, and the age we are in our heads." Check it out, it's pretty good.


Hope everyone is gearing up to enjoy a good weekend, whatever your plans may be. It will be a quiet weekend at the Bolduc house, just some cleaning and hanging out with the kiddos and watching movies, I'd imagine. We'd hoped to get some outside work done but I think the rain will keep us from doing that.