It's been a crazy week, haven't had time til now to post about last weekend! As I started considering things we might do last weekend, I decided that Friday night would be a perfect evening for Jace and I to head to Joplin and catch up with best friend, Angel, and her son Jamie. Her birthday is on Christmas (hence "Angela" has been "Angel" since a very young age), and we still had not found time this year to get together and exchange presents. So Jace and I made the trip Friday night after work; he was very excited because Jamie and he are the same age, and always have fun together.
After we arrived, Angel and I handed over the kids to her hubby Dale, and we headed out to dinner. But first we stopped by an art opening at the Spiva Gallery. It was interesting - some pieces that were "small scale" replicas of the larger sculptures, etc. that are in front of buildings etc. across the U.S. (sorry, Ang-- not doing that justice, am I? You're the artist, though- I'm just an observer!)
Angel is actually taking some pottery classes at Southern in Joplin, as she considers returning to school for her Masters in Fine Arts. Her degree and work background has been in Human Resources, but she went almost all the way through college (when we were at SMSU in the 90s) for a degree in art, and then went a different direction. Now that we're in our 30s, she's really been busy with her artistic side again, as well she should- she's very talented! She's preparing for her spring show at this Spiva gallery, and has 40+ pottery pieces at home that she's done this past quarter. Of course as her friend I benefit from this, in that I have been lucky enough to get several cool pottery pieces. This weekend didn't disappoint, I came home with six pieces -- among them were two plates that will go great in my office, a cool black and ivory "ladybug" plate that will go great in my kitchen, and a little round jewelry box that I picked out for Paige, my stepdaughter.
In addition to all my cool new treasures, I was also happy to spend some time with Angel, just catching up. We don't get to do that often enough - but when we do, it's just like old times... one of those friendships that just picks up right where we left off last time we got together. Jamie had another friend over, so there were three nine-year-olds up til all hours of the night in the basement. Needless to say, Jace was tired the next day, but he really enjoyed the trip.
Now we're midway through this week, and I'm already thinking about what the weekend will hold. I'm ready for it, doesn't matter what we end up doing. It's been a long week already, at work. Of course it is so cold, there won't be anything we can do outside-- I can't wait for Spring!!
Hope everyone is having a good week and staying WARM!