Thursday, January 24, 2008

So Sad...

You won't see a lot of Hollywood talk on here, but I do have to say how sad I was earlier this week to see that Heath Ledger had suddenly died. He was so young, and had such a career ahead of him. Of course his movie that made him famous was the oh-so-controversial "Brokeback Mountain" (did it ever even make it to Springpatch?? I'm betting not.. I saw it on DVD, so not sure) But whether you liked it or hated it, he and Jake Gyllenhaal both were excellent in their portrayals of the characters. I've been disappointed to read in the press the last couple of days that some very conservative religious groups are boycotting Ledger's funeral being held in the U.S. because of his role in the movie.

He was one of my very favorite young actors - just something about him, how he carried himself. I still remember the first movie I saw him in - "Ten Things I Hate About You", a teenage angst film based loosely on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew". He co-starred with Julia Stiles, and I remember actually Googling his name afterwards, wondering who this guy was. He was also in "A Knight's Tale", one of Dave's favorite movies, and several other movies.

Not sure what they'll find as cause of death, but it is sad, no matter how or why, especially for his family and young daughter.