Monday, February 18, 2008

Too Many Irons...

I started this blog entry yesterday (Monday), but didn't get to finish it because, as the title suggests, I have WAY too much going on. Then my loving brother (who has not updated HIS blog since January 9th-- hello Rob, is the pot calling the kettle black or what!?) posted a snarky comment to my blog today about wanting something new besides last week's ice blog... (Just kidding, Rob, I know you've been busy with your move and new job, so you do have more of an excuse than I do.) Anyway, here it is.

I had to make a decision today on something, and it was a hard choice, but it was the right call. I've sang with a vocal ensemble, Mosaic, for the past five years or so; I like to say I'm the amateur of the group, since they all have bachelors or masters degrees in voice. I'm the odd one out, with a career and degree in healthcare. The group has undergone several changes over the years, with members dropping out because of life changes (children, new jobs, leaving Springfield, etc.) and most recently we've expanded and added several new members from the Joplin area.

I'm one of the last founding members of the group, and had planned on this being my final concert for a while, since I'm stepping up into a vice-president role in Jr. League this next year. But the logistics and timing of this concert and our practices have been so difficult that I realized today that something just had to go in order to make it through the next two weeks with my sanity.

We have our 20th annual Baby Affair event coming up on March 1st, which is one of our biggest events for The Women's Center. Several hundred expectant parents attend the event, tour the baby areas at the hospital and visit the 70+ vendor and educational booths. I know we will be very busy preparing between now and that Saturday and then our concerts with the group will be that Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Monday evening.

When I talked with our director, Marvin, he was very understanding. I know the group will have a wonderful concert; there are two other very strong altos that will be fabulous. And I'm feeling much better about the next two weeks. I need to remember my friend Paula's mantra, "I'm effective when I'm selective." I've worked on that more this past year; I knew I couldn't take on this new position with Jr. League unless I gave up something else... The only thing that I probably am a bit "overextended" on right now is that I have started guitar lessons. But I've wanted to do that for years, and just keep saying "oh, I'll do that later". So, I was glad that Dave helped me make that decision to start by giving me a guitar for Christmas.

Ok, done posting for tonight. I have a 7am meeting and have to run by my office for a file beforehand, so morning will be here before I know it.