After finishing last night's post, I read back through it before turning off my laptop. The one word that jumped out at me was "undergone", in paragraph two. So I had this conversation with myself about it, trying to remember the grammar rule for "went" and "gone", but then decided that sleep was more important and tabled the issue for this morning. I've pulled up a grammar website online this morning, and believe that I did correctly use "undergone" in the sentence. (If I didn't, please feel free to post a reply and correct me!) :)
My friend, Marvin, (also mentioned in last night's post, director of our ensemble) calls me the "Grammar Nazi". I appreciate his compliment (or at least I consider it a compliment) but perhaps it is more apt to label me a "Spelling Nazi", because grammar still does get the best of me at times. How is it that I can always correctly determine when to use affect/effect, and know that "irregardless" is not a word (every time someone uses that in conversation or writing, I have to resist the urge to tell them that it is NOT correct!) but I cannot remember how to correctly use went/gone or lie/lay!?
Nope, grammar is not my specialty- spelling is. Case in point- saw a flyer a couple of days ago on a beautiful new home, and the real estate agent described the property in glowing terms, including the spacious "DINNING room"!? I just cringe when I see things like that. If your living is made by selling homes and making everything look perfect for potential buyers, can't you make sure you have spellchecked the freakin' flyer!?
There's my rant for the day. I know I'm a little over the top about it, it is just one of my pet peeves. My husband always likes to joke that when he sends me "love emails" I reply back with corrections. Not true! I will say that when we first met and emailed back and forth, one of the things that I noticed and liked was that his spelling and grammar were right on. But after we had dated for a bit I learned that his secret weapon was spellcheck! Hey, at least he uses it, right? And he's so perfect in other ways that I just can't begrudge him a misspelled word here and there. (Are you reading this, honey? I should get some points here!)
Happy Wednesday to all- the week is halfway over!