Now, don't get me wrong -- the kitchen is absolutely gorgeous, and he did everything but the actual cabinets himself. It was worth it, and cost us a fraction of the price because he did the work himself. But I'm very thankful that this project has not disrupted our lives to the extent that the kitchen did!
Here's a few pics of the progress so far. As you can see from the initial pictures, the backyard is not exactly an oasis.
There were two bradford pears when I bought the house, but both died in the ice storm, so we're tree-less right now. And between the monsoon season of rain that we have had this year, and the two dogs that chase each other around all day, the back yard was not a place we ever wanted to spend any time.So, Dave decided he wanted to extend the deck for more "usable" space, and cordon the dogs off with their own area on the left side of the yard. We're not just talking a tiny bit of a deck extension, but a 26x29 extension. We'll be getting a little more creative with the space than just putting in a flat, rectangular deck. If you look closely, you can see the fabulous job he's doing with the deck pattern, and the deck will also be two levels, with a built-in table by his grill and a long "bar" table at the top of the extension, so people can stand out there with drinks, etc. and talk.

As you can see, we have also acquired an 8x8 hot tub, which was my vote. IF we're going to have a deck of that size, we might as well have a hot tub. And he's also building a pergola there on the left -- it won't be that tall, he just put taller posts in so he can cut them where he wants them. I'm excited about that, will be planting some vines and also putting some trees in on the right side of the deck area, and some flower beds. So, that's his spring project-- and he's bound and determined to get it done, especially since summer and lake time is quickly approaching. Stay tuned for more updates!
As I close, here's one final picture of the elusive, camera shy Zoe (a.k.a. Wilson!). I rarely get her to sit still for a shot, but I was pretty far away when I took these this morning, and caught her!