Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Try at "Simple Pleasures"

Taking a cue from friend Anne's blog today, I decided I'd take a minute and reflect on a few of my own simple pleasures for which I'm thankful. Anne is newly retired and enjoying Life 2.0, and I enviously noticed that many of her pleasures are possible because she isn't punching a clock anymore! But still, given that I'm just coming off of a very busy month, I think it's good to take a little time and smell the roses, so to speak:
  • Watching my son exercise his creativity over the last several days - this was somewhat forced because he has been grounded from television and computer for the past week, but it has been very nice. He has been drawing, reading books (more than just his assigned 15-20 minutes/night for school) and tonight made several paper airplanes. I told him a couple of days ago that we will be limiting television and games every night to even less than we have, so that he continues to use his brain and creativity as he has this week.
  • Noticing the gorgeous fall leaves on the trees in our neighborhood and along Plainview Road. We're so blessed with all the trees in Springfield, and it is beautiful to drive along and see the changing colors.
  • Schlepping home with a full bag of books from the library is such a simple pleasure for me. This past Sunday Jace went with me to pick out his own books, and said, "Mom, I like to read when it is a book that is good!". Ahhhh, maybe he is finally catching the book fever that I've had since I was a child!
  • Wireless internet connectivity - I don't know that this can be considered a simple pleasure, but it is certainly a pleasure! The dogs are nestled on the sofa with me, and my feet are propped on the coffee table- much more comfortable than sitting at a desk and blogging.
  • Finishing a project - So many things are stop-and-go, and painting Jace's room was no different. It literally took me over a week to finish it, because of work, evening commitments and our last Saturday breast cancer awareness event. But it is done!
  • 8-9 hours of sleep is a simple pleasure - sometimes I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends, and especially when work is crazy and I don't work out regularly. That's been the case lately, and I'm feeling even more tired. I need to get back in my routine, so that I have more energy to enjoy all the simple pleasures in life.

Headed to bed now!