Thursday, October 9, 2008

Rollin' on the River...

Ok, not sure if the blog title truly fits our upcoming weekend journey; we're starting out on Tablerock Lake and heading down to Eureka Springs via water. It is a five-hour trip; Chris is the captain, and Dave is his first mate and is in charge of all of the map reading. The channels get pretty narrow and shallow in some places, so it really is quite an effort for them to navigate the whole way.

First, before I go any further, I have to give a shout-out to my new niece, Eva Catherine. You can see her on my brother Rob's blog; the first little granddaughter in our family, after four boys! I can't wait to shop for little girl clothes for her!

And now back to our weekend plans. I've been looking forward to this weekend for the last couple of months; it was such a fun trip last year, and promises to be even more enjoyable this year. Our hosts are Chris and Jana, and we have a new set of friends (Brent and Laura) joining us from KC, in addition to Garry and Heather.

Garry's the music king, and he is in charge of the tunes for the trip. I called him today (to wish Heather a happy birthday as well!) and told him that he was the captain of the music for the trip, and I will be his first mate of music! Here's a shot of Garry on last year's boat trip, shakin' his groove thing for Jana:




He was up bright and early that morning and going on Bloody Mary's early while the rest of us were still on coffee. But by midday, he was singing a different tune...


So this time I'm ready to step in as first mate and keep the tunes going, if Garry goes down for the count again! When I talked to him this morning he said he has several mixes ready to go - all the classic music, and some boatin' tunes, plus some Kings of Leon, one of his favorite new bands that he's got me hooked on.

It promises to be a very fun weekend, and I'm looking forward to spending all day in Eureka Springs on Saturday; the weather is going to be beautiful. Hope everyone is planning on enjoying the weekend in your own way as well.