Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Splitting Hairs

Ok, show of hands... when you get your hair cut, does the stylist ever really fix it like YOU fix it!? Yep, me neither. Sometimes it looks way BETTER than I could ever hope to fix it, and other times it is nothing like I would ever do. Case in point, my 9-year-old son recently got his hair cut, which is a traumatic event in itself right now, no matter how the cut looks. He wants his hair in that longer "in your face" look, but it is very wavy and it is always a struggle to get him to agree to a haircut. I'm hoping that he soon will change his mind and want it short again, but in the meantime I persevere, figuring that there are more important battles to fight.

Anyway, while the cut was just fine, the way the stylist (great guy, great stylist, with alternative lifestyle) fixed it was NOT what Jace or I would have done. After we left, Jace actually went into the restroom at the mall and wet it down, before we went on to our next stop for the evening. I didn't really think much about it until the ex called today, and mentioned it in passing... Our conversation went like this:

the ex : ... Oh, one other thing-- just where are you getting Jace's hair cut?

me: I usually just take him as a walk-in to Regis, at the mall. Why?

the ex: Jace was talking about it the other night, and he said that the stylist used a FLAT IRON on it???

me: Yes, he did... but don't worry-- Jace and I talked about it, and he is NOT going to be doing that, even if he does want his hair straight. He didn't even like how it turned out anyway. Not that I encouraged the stylist to do it, he just fixed it like that on his own...

the ex: Good. I don't want Jace to be worried about his hair THAT much...

me: (a bit sarcastically) Don't worry, he'll be fine. But if it makes you feel better, I'll start taking him to Too Hotties... that'll be more manly for him.

And yes, if you're wondering, he liked that idea.