Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mother/Son Day

I'm taking a day of vacation today, since Jace is out of school this whole week. We've got a full day planned, and he's got one thing on his mind-- spending that gift card to Toys R Us, and some of the money that he received for Christmas. Like my dad always said about me, that money is "burning a hole in his pocket"!

He's such a good boy... ok, I know, what parent doesn't say that about their kiddo? Two of my family members commented on him over the weekend, and I really appreciated what they said. My sister-in-law, who has been a 6th grade teacher for a number of years, remarked that Jace is very inquisitive, and she noticed that he always asks if he doesn't understand something that is said. She said she has lots of 6th graders that just shrug and go on if they don't understand what an adult is saying, but Jace wants to know...

And then my brother-in-law said that he loves that Jace is so affectionate, and is always ready to hug whomever is around. I'd like to think that I've helped to instill both of those qualities in him, at least somewhat. He is very affectionate, and I know some of that will be stifled as he grows older, especially in those "too cool" teenage years, but hopefully some of it will stick.

So, we're off for some mom-son time (he's already been in here three times, wondering WHEN we're going to go!) ... I need to remember to just take the time today, and enjoy our day together. It is hard to believe he is already nine, and I know the next nine years will fly by too, and soon he won't be my little boy anymore! (sniff, sniff!)

Ok, he's back in here for a fourth time... time to go.