Sunday, March 9, 2008

Family, Friends, and Fun!

Sitting here blogging while Dave's reading the paper; a very peaceful ending to a great weekend. We headed to Ft. Leonard Wood yesterday to see Dave's brother, Poko (Paul) Bolduc. He lives in Tacoma, WA and was at the base for some chemical warfare training for the next couple of weeks. We had lunch with Poko and their mother, who lives in Ft. Wood. While we were eating lunch, Dave got a call from Shawn, a college buddy, who was in Springfield with his wife, Lucas, for the weekend and asking if we could get together for dinner later that night.

Turns out they were staying with Kim and Ben Wylie, another guy Dave also knew from college- and whom I had met earlier this year NOT in Springfield, but in Jamaica, as they were celebrating their anniversary at the same resort where we were married in July. We didn't get to spend much time with them in Jamaica; they were on their last night there when we were just starting our stay, so it was great to see them again last night. And, Kim is a fellow blogger -- like me, her biggest readers of her blog are her extended family; it is a great way to keep everyone caught up!)

We arrived at Kim and Ben's last night with libations in hand, some beer and wine for the group since they were doing all the cooking. It was a wonderful dinner, (and yes, a great table, Kim!) including filet mignon, bacon-wrapped green beans and an awesome bread salad that Lucas made- it was almost a bruschetta sort of dish, with parmesan cheese, cherry tomatoes, spinach, and vinegar/oil, it was so yummy!

I had heard a lot about Shawn and Lucas (Amy Lucas was her maiden name, but "Lucas" is what she goes by, and it fits her great!) from Dave, and then we received a great 4-page newsletter from them at Christmas. (I loved it, and decided that I'd like to do the same next year, although Lucas said last night it was the biggest pain in the ass, and she wouldn't be doing it again!) Their newsletter had info about Lucas' blog on it, so I've been somewhat of a voyeur into their life before ever having the pleasure of actually meeting them! She has a great blog- have enjoyed reading about her kick-ass workouts, eating healthy and the GADO... check it out!

Meeting them in person certainly didn't disappoint -- what a super couple! Much of our evening was spent around the fire pit in the backyard, drinking a few beers and talking. Shawn and Dave relived some great college stories, and I had a chance to visit with everyone and get to know them a little better as the night progressed. (I have a few pics that I took last night, but will have to post them tomorrow, my camera cord is at work.) We wrapped up the evening about 11:30, and we're looking forward to seeing Shawn and Lucas later this spring/summer; Shawn's family has a lake house near here and we will hope to get back together with them soon.

Today Dave and I headed down to the lake and took the boat out, since it was supposed to be 50 degrees. It was a beautiful day, ended up being about 60 degrees. He and I cruised up and down the lake (at a nice speed, burning lots of gas-- but Dave assures me we needed to go that fast, that the motors need that every once in awhile...!), drank our coffee, and listened to a little Jack Johnson... a nice Sunday afternoon, just the two of us.

Now we're winding down and getting ready for another busy work week; the weather promises to be just as nice this week as today, but unfortunately we will be inside and unable to enjoy it! Oh well, hopefully now that we're into March we'll be seeing more and more great weekend weather. I'm ready for it!