Monday, April 14, 2008

"Baby Steps"

Remember that movie "What About Bob?", with Richard Dreyfuss as a psychologist and Bill Murray as his clingy but endearing patient? One of my favorite movies, and one of my favorite sayings, whether I'm being silly or serious about it... "Baby steps!" Today was a day of baby steps-- I've let myself get back into some old eating habits, and some non-exercising habits, and I'm ready to start digging myself out of that hole. As I write this, I think I may have blogged another time about baby steps and this movie, but it is too late in the evening to start looking back through archives. If it is a repeat, oh well, so is my diet relapse. :)

I have always eaten healthy for breakfast -- oatmeal, milk, OJ and one slice of whole wheat toast, that is my breakfast almost every morning. And lunch is good, I usually bring it and eat a sandwich and fruit and some crackers, etc. My biggest thing has been the sweets, just a few select ones... those tollhouse cookies, the starbucks icecream, the Pepperidge Farms pirouettes... I went to the grocery store after work to get some lunch meat, yogurt, milk, eggs and a few other staples, and there my old friends were, around every corner. But I resolutely marched on with my cart, ignoring all the goodies. I did get some chocolate Teddy Grahams,and some reduced fat Triscuits and I've already portioned them into bags to take in my lunch and eat as snacks.

Then I walked tonight, only 1.7 miles on my pedometer, but I saw a friend midway through my walk and turned around with her as she headed back, so it cut my walk short. But will continue this the rest of the week... my thanks to friend Lucas, who has taken many, many baby steps, has come a long way herself and had some great words of encouragement for me today. Thanks, Lucas -- you rock!

Now I'm heading to bed for a good night's sleep. I'd like to think I'll get up early in the morning and go work out, but since it is already almost midnight I'm not going to make myself a promise to do so and then not follow through on it. We have dinner plans with Dave's work tomorrow night, but then the rest of the week looks good for making time to exercise... baby steps!