Thursday, April 24, 2008

Taking Inventory

It is that time of year again... I'll be 37, tomorrow. Celebrating my birthday has been fun the past few years, since Dave and I share the same birthday -- it is a special treat for both of us. One of my friends the other day was saying how neat it was that Dave and I were born on the same day and same year; I quickly corrected her on that. Let the record show, he is six years older than me! He just has aged very well, and I'm jealous!

I was talking to my stepmom on the phone last week about being in my thirties, and she said that she really remembered that time of her life being when her body went through so many changes... every few years it seemed like something "major" happened; and never anything necessarily GOOD! This year I've noticed my first change... I have 20/20 vision, or I did when I had my last eye appointment last year. I do wear glasses for reading, and desk work, only because I am a "slow focuser" (the optometrist's terminology) when looking back and forth from paper to computer screen, etc.

But lately I've noticed something that is disturbing... something I've seen others do (and yes, teased them about it-- until now.)... If I'm not wearing my reading glasses, I catch myself stretchhhhing my blackberry or the paper out a little further than I used to... Pretty soon I'll be holding it at arm's length, just to focus on it!


Oh well, that's part of growing older, and I'm definitely okay with being in my late 30s. There are a lot of things that are much better about being in your 30s than your 20s. Self confidence, knowing myself a heck of a lot better than I did in my 20s...

But I do worry a little about what's next -- I've already got those damn neck wrinkles (you know, you have to look at the picture after someone takes it, just to make sure you had your head at the correct angle so those wrinkles aren't showing), and my eyelids are a little droopy... But all in all, my physical inventory is still pretty good, for 37. One plus is I'm still pretty perky in the "hooters" department, but I'm sure that's bound to change, eventually. :) I'll just keep investing in good bras, though- they do wonders!

I have a late meeting tonight, and then we're meeting some friends at Uncle Bently's for some birthday cocktails. Looking forward to taking tomorrow off, only coming in for one meeting in the afternoon. Happy Birthday to me!