I'm posting some pictures of us from the Heart Walk yesterday, but also taking this opportunity to publicly announce that I'm climbing back on the "eating smarter" (notice I'm not saying DIET) bandwagon, I've been off for several weeks. Note to self --- do not let Jace talk me into buying Krispy Kreme donut holes anymore. I get the regular size glazed donuts for him on the weekends, and I can't even remember the last time I had one of those. I can have those in the house, and not be tempted at all!
But those yummy little glazed cake donut holes... ack!!! With their help I've now undone the healthy 3 mile walk that we took yesterday morning for the annual AHA Heart Walk. Oh yes, and no more of those Nestle Tollhouse slice and bake cookies, either. Maybe if I confess all my favorite bad things on my blog that will help me to have the strength to STAY AWAY from them!? Starbucks Coffee Almond Fudge icecream... that's heaven!!I'll also have to confess I've fallen off the exercise wagon as well... I had a breast biopsy about a month ago, was having quite a bit of pain. It all turned out fine, but I wasn't working out much before then, and then after that it was very painful for the next few weeks. So, I haven't darkened the doors of the gym in fou weeks, I hate to say. And I'm feeling it, very sluggish. The weather hasn't helped-- we just can't get a break from this winter weather, even though it is mid-April. I definitely have more difficulty exercising in winter -- once spring fever hits, I'm much better about wanting to eat healthy and exercise more. But we're in the 40s this weekend, and will be getting down in the 20s tonight -- as I sit here posting and drinking my coffee, there are snow flurries flying around outside... hello, where is Spring!?
I alluded in my last post that I've made a commitment that will really make me accountable for my exercise, and it will be a fun way to ramp up my daily exercise. Our hospital's former COO and his wife are making a trek across the US on their bicycles, starting May 4th. Our wellness department has come up with a partnership program for hospital employees, which will have us walking every day for the entire time that Norb and Ann are on their 3 month bike ride. It is only an average of 1.5 miles a day, so it shouldn't be difficult. I always enjoy exercising once I'm doing it (especially walking) but it is the getting started that always stinks. I invariably find a reason why I can't get to the gym, or say "Oh, I'll go tomorrow morning instead" and then don't follow through. But we will be tracking our daily walks and turning in log sheets every week, so I think it will be a great way to kickstart my motivation. As I told Dave, I'm going to start it myself in April, just to gear up and already be doing it when the official start happens in May.
Dave, the kids and I headed down to the lake yesterday to check out the marina and our dock, and then headed over to see what the dam looked like.

Here are a couple of pictures. The black rectangular object in the picture of our dock area is the very top of the trash dumpster; it sits in the parking lot where we usually park! We can park right there by the ramp going down to the dock... it is unbelievable to see it under so much water. But we are lucky (knock on wood) that our dock/boats have sustained no permanent damage. I know there are a lot of people in the Tablerock/Taneycomo area who have lost their homes to flooding. Then we headed over to the dam; Tablerock Lake crested at a record high of 933 feet on Saturday, surpassing the last record of 932 feet in 1961. They will be keeping the dam open at full force until Monday to bring it back down.

Between last year's ice storm and this year's flooding, Mother Nature has handed us a couple of very destructive years here in the Ozarks. I hope that this is the last of the crazy weather for awhile.