Monday, April 7, 2008

A Weekend of Art Appreciation

My best friend of many, many years had her senior art exhibit in Joplin this weekend. Angel was an art major in college when we were at SMSU, and later finished a degree in Human Resources. Since then she's gone back to school to start on her Masters in Fine Arts, and has taken several classes in preparation for it. Her exhibit was held at a gallery in Joplin this weekend, and all of her family plus some friends (including college roommates me and Valerie) made the trip to see her show.

It was a very fun evening, and I loved getting together with her family, as always. They were like my second family in high school, I practically lived at the Rogles house. As you can see, they're a motley crew -- hello, is anyone ready for the picture and looking at the camera?? No, they're all busy arguing! (And, note the Rogles family tradition- this time it is Angel's sister Andrea, giving me the bird... I tell you, there are more pictures WITH the bird than not, when it comes to their family!)


Angel's exhibit was mostly pottery, and there were so many gorgeous pieces. The one she's standing in front of here was one of my favorites. She's been doing pottery for about three years, much of that time at Springfield Pottery with Nathan and Jennifer Falter. The great thing about it is that she makes so many pieces that she can't possibly keep them all, so family and friends often get our pick of what she doesn't want to keep for herself.


She's given me several pieces, one of the most recent is this one... The assignment for this was to create several altered forms- one of them was a snail, this one was a ladybug. It goes great with the colors in my kitchen.

We had a great evening, and I hated to head home to Springfield, but the doggies were here by themselves and I needed to get home and let them in to sleep. Dave was in Dallas for the NASCAR race with his boss, so I was on my own for the weekend.

This week is busy for me, and I have a new project that will be helping me get more motivated for my necessary weight loss and toning up that MUST happen before swimsuit weather... more on that soon!